I just can't get my head around it... :(

I have a Mars DEM rasterdata set that is projected in polar stereographic with this Wkt:

PROJCS["POLAR_STEREOGRAPHIC MARS",
   GEOGCS["GCS_MARS",
       DATUM["D_MARS",
           SPHEROID["MARS",3396190,169.8944472236118]],
       PRIMEM["Reference_Meridian",0],
       UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433]],
   PROJECTION["Polar_Stereographic"],
   PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",-90],
   PARAMETER["central_meridian",0],
   PARAMETER["scale_factor",1],
   PARAMETER["false_easting",0],
   PARAMETER["false_northing",0]]

and a worldfile (output of ds.GetGeoTransform()

(-707109.6954345703,
115.08946865797043,
0.0,
707109.6954345703,
0.0,
-115.08946865797043)

So, currently, to find the corrent sample/line coordinates to determine what raster window to read, I need to know the projected coordinate in meters and using this via gdal.ApplyGeoTransform() works fine, in both directions.

But I would like to find my data by providing a pair of unprojected, i.e. geographical coordinates. So something like
sample, line = gdal.ApplyGeoTransform(t, lat,lon)

So I understand that I need a transformation between polar_stereographic and lat/long projection, but I am stumped at how I get a new wordfile?

I guess I can just take the above Wkt and change projection to lat/long and remove the parameter section, but what do I do with the affine transformation parameters? Where do I have to put them into the proj4 system to achieve what I need? Somehow no examples I can find explain this part (or I can't see the forest because of all the trees.)

Any help would be appreciated deeply!!

Best regards,
Michael