Hi,

Our group is looking at the possibility to use GDAL with Python bindings for our work with satellite data. One limitation seems however to be missing/incomplete drivers, as we have no capacity to implement new drivers in C.

It seems however to me that the Python API allows to create GDAL Datasets from data which in principle could be read by any non-GDAL functions, e.g. PyHDF or self-made Python readers.

My question is therefore: is there in principle any important differences or limitations with datasets created this way, compared to datasets read with native GDAL drivers?

Best regards from Knut-Frode