The paths are taken care of by configure, and they are checked to be ok. I also tried with standard installation folders (/usr/lib/ /usr/include/ etc) but no difference. I did not compile, since configure fails. So I believe it must be some incompatibility with the GDAL configure script and the standard HDF4-libraries I have used. The "lib not found" message from GDAL configure seems to be misleading.

Best regards from Knut-Frode