On 11-05-31 09:29 AM, Toni Pignataro wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to create an overview image with gdaladdo and tried out different
resampling parameter. My results looks fine on large scale, but zooming out
(small scale) the image looks really poor. What I want to to achieve or
reproduce is an effect like in ArcMap. Here embedding an black and white image
and enabling the 'create Pyramids' option, it generates a really smooth image
on small scale. Any idea or suggestion how to achieve this effect? Or is this
an special ArcMap effect?

Toni,

Is your base image a 1bit black and white image?  If so, you might want
to try AVERAGE_BIT2GRAYSCALE as the resampling algorithm.  This is a
special algorithm (implemented for ArcGIS) that produces greyscale overviews
for one 1bit black and white images.  Note that not all applications will
handle the situation of greyscale overviews on a 1 bit base image gracefully.

Best regards,