On 11-06-15 03:19 PM, Alex Mantaut wrote:
Hi all,
         I'm trying to open the metadata from a subdataset of an HDF5 file...
         When I open the file by it's filename and then ask for the metadata it
returns the metadata asociated to the root and all the subdatasets.... But when
I open the file by specifying the subdataset name to GDALOpen() and then ask
for the metadata it returns the metadata asociated to all groups but none of
the subdatasets...
         I looked a bit into the hdf5dataset code and realized that
this difference emerges from the fact that when GDAL opens the file specifying
only the filename it uses hdf5dataset to open the file, but when I specify the
subdataset to GDALOpen() it uses hdf5imagedataset instead, and it loads the
metadata in a different way.
         I'm not sure of what the expected behavior is on hdf5image for loading
metadata... It should load all the metadata of the file? Just the metadata
asociated to the subdataset? Or should the application ask for the subdataset
in some other way and then ask for the metadata?

Alex,

I'm not sure of the details of the metadata handling, but to the extent
possible I think opening a subdataset should return metadata specific to
that subdataset and any "root" metadata that applies to everything in the
.hdf file.

Best regards,