Sure, I've uploaded samples here.

http://www.mikejcorey.com/spatial/diablo-box-sample.tif
http://www.mikejcorey.com/spatial/diablo-cutout-sample.tif

These are the same as the images created by the process I described (but scaled down).

To your point about specifying size in the first step -- will that make the process run faster, or does it do the scaling down after it builds the full-resolution image?

Also, I notice that my filesize always gets significantly bigger when I do the cutout step, which seems counter-intuitive to me since in theory shouldn't there be less information present once the cutout is done?

Thanks for your help!

Michael Corey