On 08/11/2011 20:28, Even Rouault wrote:

gdalwarp something.tif something.tif -t_srs EPSG:XXXX makes no sense...

Indeed: typing 'something.tif' twice should not be necessary. But the following could theoretically make sense (in analogy to GNU sed's -i/--in-place switch (which creates a temporary file and later *overwrites* the original file):

gdalwarp -i something.tif -t_srs EPSG:XXXX

However, as one hardly get things right in the first run: there is a good chance that the result is not what you want -- and the original file is gone :-(. At least this happens to me whenever I use sed's -i switch. So I wouldn't see a need for introducing this behaviour in GDAL command line utilitiies.

Hermann