Etienne,

For what it worth, I repeated the tests as for Windows in http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3166 and got the expected behavior.

Joaquim

Folks,

I would appreciate minimal testing for netcdf-4 in osx before
releasing rc2 (which should take a few days at the most).

Wiliam:

The driver in 1.9 includes support for netcdf-4, which uses hdf5 for
storage and supports deflate compression as well as a new data model.
Other important bugfixes and support for CF-1.5 have been included as
well.There are also some new autotests that are skipped if netcdf-4 is
not available to GDAL, if these pass the build should be fine.

More details here:
http://www.gdal.org/frmt_netcdf.html (Driver Improvements (GDAL>= 1.9.0) )
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/NetCDF_Improvements
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/NetCDF

configure script should detect netcdf-4 if it is installed (and
nc-config can be found in the appropriate path), and if hdf5 is
available to gdal and netcdf-4 was built with netcdf-4/hdf5 support
(shared build). You might need to add --with-netcdf=path_to_netcdf if
it doesn't get detected (right after hdf4 and hdf5 detection).

I have sent a few emails to the list:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2011-December/031116.html
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2011-October/030472.html

Bug entries for netcdf-4 support (including some tests)
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3890
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2379
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4408

Wiliam, if have any problems building I'll be happy to help, and if
any of the tests fail please file a bug report.  I am on vacation but
have access to internet at night.

regards,
Etienne

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM, William Kyngesburye