On 05/06/12 09:40, akshay gupta wrote:
Hi all,

I am writing an application to load vector maps/shape files using
gdal/ogr and display them onto a gui designed using Qt. I am  new to
dealing with vector files, I am not able to decide how to render them on
GUI. Few approaches that come to my mind are:
- To convert vector files to raster and display them as raster..
- To draw each shape in vector file one by one (i dont know how to do
this, I dont even know whether it would be even  possible this using
GDAL/OGR, or how complex this would be because in my case vector files
can be very complex)

The decision how to render vector files is very important for me,
because after displaying vector files i need to support some advanced
features like projection change, interactive selection, Geo-referencing etc.

Can any one who has worked on vector/gis stuff, tell me how this is
usually done and what Qt widget is used for displaying such data.

Thanks,
Akshay gupta

Hello,

You should have a look at the QGIS project : www.qgis.org
It displays vector data using GDAL/OGR and Qt, that's exactly what you want to do.

Jean-Claude