All,

I need to create image footprints (outlines excluding the nodata areas) for about 300 geotiff images. While GDAL's gdal_polygonize.py may do the job, I prefer GINA's (http://www.gina.alaska.edu/projects/gina-tools) gdal_trace_outline because of its option,s but I'm open to alternatives. I intend to load the polygons into PostGIS for later processing and I need some kind of key value (filename?) on the polygons. Neither gdal_polygonize nor gdal_trace_outline have an option for setting an attribute value (the produced shapefiles have a single integer attribute) to identify the polygon when they create the shapefile.

  So my current plan calls for scripting:

   For 300 shapefiles:
      Use shp2pgsl to Load shapefile into a PostGIS temp table
            (creates a table with a single row),
      Use pgsql to do an ALTER table to:
            add a IMAGENAME column
            update IMAGENAME for the loaded row
            copy the row into the final table
            delete the temp table

I suppose I could enhance gdal_polygonize (or gdal_trace_outline) to allow an attribute value, but I'm hoping someone has a simpler, more elegant way using existing software.

GeoKettle may be an answer, but it has a steep learning curve...

--
Best Regards,
Brent Fraser