Please ignore this thread.  I've finally figured out that it was an error in
code on my part.  I thought that my code was reading the .map file, when in
fact it was reading the GeoTIFF file that had been converted from the .map/ozf2
earlier in the program.  My humble apologies.

(I may post a new thread later regarding why the GeoTIFF is not georeferenced
correctly).

Thanks for your tolerance.  :-)
Nik.