Dear Gordon,

If you want to use the VRTBuilder inside your own programming environment (on Windows) you could also start using the MapWinGIS ActiveX control.
Version 4.9 and later supports GDAL, including the VRTBuilder function.

The activeX control can be downloaded here:
mapwingis.codeplex.com

I just got it working myself. Building a VRT file from a bunch of grids has become quite easy now. Sequentially I use functions such as ClipGridByPolygon on the VRT file and it works fine.

Cheers,
Siebe