Wow, we answered at same time. So, I'll include my findings here

Even Rouault <mailto:even.roua...@spatialys.com>
February 5, 2015 at 7:30 PM
Jorge,

- Generate JPEG tiles instead of PNG. Tried just replacing the driver's
name (PNG) with JPEG. Didn't work. Base tiles are generated, but
overview tiles are not. Getting this error instead: ERROR 1: Buffer too
small

This messages comes from the WriteRaster() Python bindings, when it is passed
a buffer that isn't large enough regarding the advertized buffer dimensions.
Perhaps due to the fact that JPEG only supports 3 bands and PNG 4, although
this is just a guess without deeper inspection.

The problem is in swig/python/extensions/gdal_wrap.cpp, method GDALDatasetShadow_WriteRaster, because Buf len = 196608, min buffer size = 262144.

Is there any method to pass a bigger buffer to JPEG driver? Or just avoid the 4th band of PNG

- Apply a color to nodata value of generated tiles. Tried passing -a
"200,0,0" to gdal2tiles, but it was ignored.

The doc of -a suggests that it only applies to the input dataset, not the
output
Mmmm... ok. Is there a Python method to specify a color for nodata pixels when creating an output dataset?

Thanks again, Even!
Even

Jorge Arévalo <mailto:jo...@cartodb.com>
February 5, 2015 at 7:15 PM
- Generate JPEG tiles instead of PNG. Tried just replacing the driver's name (PNG) with JPEG. Didn't work. Base tiles are generated, but overview tiles are not. Getting this error instead: ERROR 1: Buffer too small - Apply a color to nodata value of generated tiles. Tried passing -a "200,0,0" to gdal2tiles, but it was ignored.

Log file, with GDAL_DEBUG=On, where you can see the first problem (buffer too small): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6599273/errors/gdal/gdal2tiles_error.log Modified version of gdal2tiles, to generate xyz caches instead of tms ones: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6599273/errors/gdal/gdal2tiles_modified.py tif tile for testing (same error with other ones): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6599273/gis_data/katrina.tif

Many thanks!

--
Sent with Postbox <http://www.getpostbox.com>