I'm not able to compile GDAL with the ESRI FileGeodatabase driver (needed for
write support) on Ubuntu 16.04 with Docker (current LTS) I'm using the the
travis.yml of the 2.1_gcc5.2_sanitize coverage branch as a guide since that
seems to be the closest environment to 16.04.

However, during GDAL make, I received the following soul-destroying error
when attempting to compile using the standard build-essential package (see
GIS StackExchange
<http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/204521/error-compiling-gdal-with-esri-filegeodatabase-support-on-ubuntu-16-04>

post for my build commands):

In file included from /usr/local/include/FileGDBAPI.h:28:0,
                 from filegdbsdk_headers.h:39,
                 from ogr_fgdb.h:50,
                 from FGdbDatasource.cpp:33:
/usr/local/include/GeodatabaseManagement.h:56:1: error: expected
constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '(' token
 EXT_FILEGDB_API fgdbError CreateGeodatabase(const std::wstring& path,
Geodatabase& geodatabase);
 ^
/usr/local/include/GeodatabaseManagement.h:64:1: error: expected
constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '(' token
 EXT_FILEGDB_API fgdbError OpenGeodatabase(const std::wstring& path,
Geodatabase& geodatabase);
 ^
/usr/local/include/GeodatabaseManagement.h:69:1: error: expected
constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '(' token
 EXT_FILEGDB_API fgdbError CloseGeodatabase(Geodatabase& geodatabase);
 ^
/usr/local/include/GeodatabaseManagement.h:77:1: error: expected
constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '(' token
 EXT_FILEGDB_API fgdbError DeleteGeodatabase(const std::wstring& path);
 ^
In file included from /usr/local/include/FileGDBAPI.h:29:0,
                 from filegdbsdk_headers.h:39,
                 from ogr_fgdb.h:50,
                 from FGdbDatasource.cpp:33:
/usr/local/include/Geodatabase.h:60:23: error: expected initializer before
'Geodatabase'
 class EXT_FILEGDB_API Geodatabase
                       ^
FGdbDatasource.cpp:760:1: error: expected '}' at end of input
 }
 ^
make[3]: *** [../o/FGdbDatasource.lo] Error 1