Hi,

Is there a way (or: what are the prerequisites) to avoid gdal opening all source files from a vrt on opening the vrt?

Context: I have created a large vrt, referencing many tif files. Both the vrt and tifs are remote (using /vsigs/). It works, but opening (e.g. running gdalinfo) is very slow.

I have a comparable vrt where the main difference is that it references .hgt files instead of tifs. Running gdalinfo on this vrt is almost instantaneous.

As there are no other significant differences otherwise, I wonder if this is because if the vrt machinery encounters a tif, it starts to check if there are any accompanying overviews (or other important metadata), while it does not do that for a .hgt file? Or is there a different reason? And how can I prevent this (without, preferably, changing to a different source file format)?

Thanks,
Vincent.