> I assume my understanding of IsSame is flawed so any clarification would be
> a big help.

Matt,

Your understanding of IsSame() is correct. You just hit a bug. I've fixed it
per https://
trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/7029. You can see the changeset code as a workaround
to add in
your own code if you need.

IsSame() is a "smart" comparison, ie it tries to abstract away unsignificant
differences like the
PROJCS text value that don't participate really to the SRS and can vary over
formats, data
producers, etc... The issue here is that web-mercator (EPSG:3857) and
WGS84-mercator
(EPSG:3395) are represented the same way at the GEOGCS and projection levels.
The only
difference is that GDAL creates a EXTENSION["PROJ4", ...] node in the
web-mercator case to
really use the spherical definition. And IsSame() before my fix neglected to
compare that
extension node. So you were a bit unlucky since that must be pretty much the
only pair of
EPSG entries in that situation.

My initial tought was to compare the authority codes/nodes when they exist on
both sides,
but I was wondering if there are not cases where you'd have the same SRS
registered in 2
different catalogs. Presumably within the same catalog, a different code should
mean a
different CRS, but I'm not even completely sure you couldn't find oddities. I
was thinking to
EPSG:3857 vs the deprecated EPSG:3785, but this isn't a good example, since
they differ on
the DATUM. So currently IsSame() returns FALSE on that pair, although I guess
one might
consider them as equivalent (the deprecated version is just a buggy expression
on the
current EPSG:3857). Or not...
You also have the situation where really different CRS (IsSame() == FALSE) ends
up being
translated the same way as proj.4 strings...

So it is actually not obvious to define the semantics of IsSame(). It should at
least return
FALSE for CRS that are clearly different (coordinate transformation results in
differences).

Even

http://www.spatialys.com