On 2017-09-06 12:14 PM, Kurt Schwehr wrote:
Now that Tamas has added the msvc2015/2-17SDK's, I'd like to call a vote by the PSC on RFC68: C++11 compilation mode.

The draft is here:

https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc68_cplusplus11

-Kurt

+0

It's not clear to me that the benefits of the C++11 requirement justify the potential trouble for those who have to support platforms with older compilers. I do care about portability, it was one of the founding principles of the project 20 years ago and I do not think that "stick to GDAL 2.2" is an acceptable answer to the portability question. The fact that other SDKs or apps may have the C++11 requirement is also not a justification in my mind either for a core piece as important as GDAL.

That being said, I don't think I will be directly affected by the change, and there seem to be enough contributors who are keen on dealing with this that I do not need to worry about the problems and should not block progress.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
Mapgears Inc