On 9/7/2017 9:59 AM, Joaquim Luis wrote:
And since more people are probably confused as well I find 16 copies of api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll in my machine that has a updated Win10 + VS compilers. Among them, those installed by

Firefox
TortoiseSVN
MikTex
VScode
OneDrive
and others

curiously I have none in the Windows directory but looked at another Win 10 computer that has no Compilers installed, and found them only under System32, SysWOW64 and an Windows Avast subdir.
Well, the usual Windows mess.

For a while now the Windows dll search order starts with the directory that the app was loaded from. This was in response to the "dll hell" phenomenon in earlier editions that was created when an app overrode a dll version expected by a previously installed app. So, at the expense of extra space, it is now common to distribute the required dlls with an app to control the version the app uses. The OS will not reload a dll if one with the same name is already loaded, so someone who foolishly or maliciously redistributes a misnamed dll can still screw you up.