That also caught my eye. The text sounds a bit like marketing talk but maybe there is something.

From a quick look my understanding is that the idea is to create a grid that divides the whole earth into cells of similar shape in a sequence of increasing cell size. And that sounds to me like a new idea.

Any other thoughts? Did I get the idea right?

Best,

Ari

Helmut Kudrnovsky kirjoitti 29.10.2017 klo 01:16:
Fyi

http://www.opengeospatial.org/pressroom/pressreleases/2656

"The goal of DGGS is to enable rapid assembly of spatial data without the
difficulties of working with projected coordinate reference systems. The OGC
DGGS Abstract Specification standard defines the conceptual model and a set
of rules for building highly efficient architectures for spatial data
storage, integration and analytics. ....."

-----
best regards
Helmut