Hi Mncedi,

Welcome to GDAL !

Here is how I recommend working through that (using a working example) :

Step 1:  ogrinfo
----------------

Always always start with an ogrinfo command, to see the available layer names:

        ogrinfo WFS:https://demo.gatewaygeomatics.com/cgi-bin/wfs_gateway

        returns:

                using driver `WFS' successful.
                1: ms:park

Great! We now know the layer name is called "ms:park"

Step 2: ogrinfo + layername
---------------------------

Next, see if ogrinfo can return info about that ms:park layer:

ogrinfo WFS:https://demo.gatewaygeomatics.com/cgi-bin/wfs_gateway ms:park -summary

        returns:

                using driver `WFS' successful.
                Layer name: ms:park
                        Metadata:
                                TITLE=Parks
                                Geometry: Unknown (any)
                                Feature Count: 46
Extent: (-2346804.000000, -67422.421875) - (2840366.000000, 3830124.250000)
                                Layer SRS WKT:
                                PROJCS["NAD83 / Canada Atlas Lambert"

Great! ogrinfo gave us info about our layer

Step 3: ogr2ogr + layername

Notice that the syntax is something like:  ogr2ogr output input layername :

ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" parks.shp WFS:https://demo.gatewaygeomatics.com/cgi-bin/wfs_gateway ms:park

Tested using MS4W 4.0 https://ms4w.com

-jeff

--