On 2019-06-02 9:35 AM, Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jun 2019, Jeff McKenna wrote:

On 2019-06-01 6:52 PM, Joaquim Manuel Freire Lu?s wrote:
Is there a way to force reading the grid locally with the HDF5 driver instead of the automatically picked netCDF driver?

I come across this need often also, as many MS4W users leverage GDAL through netCDF, HDF5, HDF4, but I'm not aware of a GDAL commandline option to 'skip' raster drivers (OGR has "OGR_SKIP").  I could be wrong though.  I have seen other users request this (https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/5917) which seems to say that there is a way through the GDAL API, but, I'm just not sure about the commandline.

Rather like OGR_SKIP, the GDAL_SKIP environment variable skips raster drivers (tested with gdal 1.11 and 3.0.)

ah yes, you're right, of course it exists. Thanks. https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ConfigOptions#GDAL_SKIP

-jeff