Hello, I'm a developer with MacPorts. We have this problem: py-gdal is written
in C++ but it gets compiled using the C compiler and CFLAGS and linked using
the C++ compiler and LDFLAGS. We would like it to be compiled using the C++
compiler and CXXFLAGS. How can this be accomplished? We have a need to supply
the build with certain flags in CXXFLAGS but they are currently being ignored,
resulting in build failures like this:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/57621

I know that distutils simply has the defect that it does not support C++
software at all, resulting in the above condition. This bug was never fixed
before distutils was retired.

https://bugs.python.org/issue1222585

I am trying to figure out whether distutils' replacement setuptools is still
suffering from the same problem and needs to be fixed or whether there is
something that needs to be changed in py-gdal and other similar projects to
make it work. Do you know?