Hi Thiemo,

What if you following my steps and create a new database (sverige2), then connect to that empty database with ogrinfo, and then try ogr2ogr on that new empty db.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
co-founder of FOSS4G
http://gatewaygeo.com/

On 2020-06-23 5:35 p.m., Thiemo Kellner wrote:
Hi Jeff

Thank you for sharing your steps. I tried to follow them and had an insight though I am still stuck. I noticed that I was passing the gdb file within the unzipped folder to ogr2ogr whereas you passed the folder path. Switching to your pattern it looks as follows.

thiemo @ thiemos-toshi /mnt/schweden % ogrinfo --formats | grep -i postg
   PostgreSQL -vector- (rw+): PostgreSQL/PostGIS
   PGDUMP -vector- (w+v): PostgreSQL SQL dump
# PostGIS capabilities of ogrinfo proven

thiemo @ thiemos-toshi /mnt/schweden % ogrinfo PG:"host='/var/run/postgresql' port='6543' dbname='sverige' user='sverige'" INFO: Open of `PG:host='/var/run/postgresql' port='6543' dbname='sverige' user='sverige''
       using driver `PostgreSQL' successful.
1: tiger.county (Multi Polygon)
2: tiger.state (Multi Polygon)
# Connection to PostGIS works

thiemo @ thiemos-toshi /mnt/schweden % ogrinfo SCID_v4.0.gdb
INFO: Open of `SCID_v4.0.gdb'
       using driver `OpenFileGDB' successful.
1: HBVSv_intrans_HQloc100_rcp45_ensembleMean_diffPerc (Multi Polygon)
2: HBVSv_intrans_HQloc100_rcp85_ensembleMean_diffPerc (Multi Polygon)
# Proven to be able to read the gdb file(s)

thiemo @ thiemos-toshi /mnt/schweden % ogrinfo SCID_v4.0.gdb HBVSv_intrans_HQloc100_rcp85_ensembleMean_diffPerc -summary
INFO: Open of `SCID_v4.0.gdb'
       using driver `OpenFileGDB' successful.

Layer name: HBVSv_intrans_HQloc100_rcp85_ensembleMean_diffPerc
Geometry: Multi Polygon
Feature Count: 1103
# Proven to be able to access a specific layer in the gdb

thiemo @ thiemos-toshi /mnt/schweden % ogr2ogr –f "PostgreSQL" -overwrite –progress --config PG_USE_COPY YES PG:"host='/var/run/postgresql' port='5432' dbname='sverige' user='sverige'" SCID_v4.0.gdb HBVSv_intrans_HQloc100_rcp85_ensembleMean_diffPerc
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `PostgreSQL' with the following drivers.
   -> `PCIDSK'
# UNABLE TO USE ogr2ogr TO WRITE DATA TO MY PostGIS

thiemo @ thiemos-toshi /mnt/schweden :-( % ogr2ogr –f "ESRI Shapefile" test.shp SCID_v4.0.gdb/gdb.shp SCID_v4.0.gdb HBVSv_intrans_HQloc100_rcp85_ensembleMean_diffPerc
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `ESRI Shapefile' with the following drivers.
   -> `PCIDSK'
# To me it seems that I am not able to use ogr2ogr eventhough I can ogrinfo shape files
thiemo @ thiemos-toshi /mnt/schweden % ogrinfo --formats | grep -i esri
   ESRI Shapefile -vector- (rw+v): ESRI Shapefile
   ESRIJSON -vector- (rov): ESRIJSON
   PGeo -vector- (ro): ESRI Personal GeoDatabase
   OpenFileGDB -vector- (rov): ESRI FileGDB

I am pritty lost.

Kind regards

Thiemo

Quoting Jeff McKenna <jmcke...@gatewaygeomatics.com>:

Hi Thiemo!

I have downloaded your data, to hopefully show you how I would tackle this.

First thing is to take this in very small steps, to confirm along the way, otherwise you jump to ogr2ogr without confirming that it is even possible on your system - in other words, live by *ogrinfo*, ogrinfo is your friend, and only move to ogr2ogr once you have ogrinfo happy, and then later use ogrinfo again for confirmation.

Here are my notes, I've made comments with the # symbol, and I should also mention that I am testing on Windows, with MS4W, so sometimes the exact command may slightly change (such as a single quote instead of a double quote in a command, on Linux systems) :

create database
---------------

#must first create an empty db (named 'scid' here), and load the PostGIS extension
createdb -U postgres -p 5436 -E UTF8 scid
psql -U postgres -d scid -p 5436 -c "CREATE EXTENSION postgis;"
psql -U postgres -d scid -p 5436 -c "CREATE EXTENSION postgis_topology;"

ogrinfo
-------

#verify that your local GDAL/OGR is built with PostGIS and FileGDB support
ogrinfo --formats

    PostgreSQL -vector- (rw+): PostgreSQL/PostGIS
    MySQL -vector- (rw+): MySQL
    OpenFileGDB -vector- (rov): ESRI FileGDB
    XPlane -vector- (rov): X-Plane/Flightgear aeronautical data
    DXF -vector- (rw+v): AutoCAD DXF

#connect to your new database (see params for the PG driver at https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/pg.html ) ogrinfo PG:"host=localhost user=postgres password=postgres port=5436 dbname=scid"

  INFO: Open of `PG:host=localhost user=postgres password=postgres port=5436 dbname=scid'
      using driver `PostgreSQL' successful.

#we're in business, no errors, yet no spatial tables listed yet, because there is none

#examine the file geodatabase
ogrinfo SCID_v4.0.gdb

INFO: Open of `SCID_v4.0.gdb'
      using driver `OpenFileGDB' successful.

#in my case, MS4W uses the 'OpenFileGDB' driver, but the 'FileGDB' driver is also possible

#356 layers should be listed there, with their layer names.  I'll use the last layer listed in the long list:

   356: HBVSv_MLSM_rcp85_ensembleMax_abs (Multi Polygon)

#so the layer name is 'HBVSv_MLSM_rcp85_ensembleMax_abs'

#examine the single layer through OGR/GDAL
ogrinfo SCID_v4.0.gdb HBVSv_MLSM_rcp85_ensembleMax_abs -summary

  - lists that there are 1103 features in that layer
  - EPSG (projection): https://epsg.io/3006

ogr2ogr
-------

#now you are ready to use ogr2ogr to bring the FileGDB layer into your empty PG/PostGIS database ogr2ogr -f PostgreSQL PG:"host=localhost user=postgres password=postgres port=5436 dbname=scid" SCID_v4.0.gdb HBVSv_MLSM_rcp85_ensembleMax_abs

ogrinfo
-------

#use ogrinfo to confirm that the new spatial layer exists in your PG database ogrinfo PG:"host=localhost user=postgres password=postgres port=5436 dbname=scid"

 - should list your new layer 'hbvsv_mlsm_rcp85_ensemblemax_abs'

#examine your new layer
ogrinfo PG:"host=localhost user=postgres password=postgres port=5436 dbname=scid" hbvsv_mlsm_rcp85_ensemblemax_abs -summary

Hope this helps.  Welcome to the FOSS4G community!

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
co-founder of FOSS4G