Yes, it does.
The problem is that gdal uses ansi as a default encoding when given font in
label, and that cannot be changed.

________________________________
From: Richard Greenwood <richard.greenw...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2020 4:27 PM
To: Aneta Muslić <a.mus...@outlook.com>
Cc: gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org <gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: Re: [gdal-dev] Encoding when creating pdf

Do your shapefiles include a code page file (*.cpg)? If not, maybe that would
help.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 2:57 AM Aneta Muslić
<a.mus...@outlook.com<mailto:a.mus...@outlook.com>> wrote:
Hello,

I am using gdal version 2.4.4 in my c# app.
As a part of my project I am creating pdf with gdal_translate command. GDAL
translate command is
"gdal_translate  --config SHAPE_ENCODING "utf-8" -of PDF -tr 0.001 0.001 -a_srs
EPSG:3765 Granice.tif Sisacko_moslavacka_zupanija3.pdf -co
OGR_DATASOURCE=Extent.vrt".

Part of vrt file that displays labels is:
<OGRVRTLayer name="SHPCounties">
<SrcDataSource relativeToVRT="0">MSSQL: driver={SQL Server Native Client 11.0};
server=xxx;uid=xx;pwd=xx;database=HAPIH;
Integrated Security=False;MARS_Connection=yes</SrcDataSource>
<SrcLayer>SHPCounties</SrcLayer>
<LayerSRS>EPSG:3765</LayerSRS>
<SrcSQL>
select Geometry.STCentroid() as pointPolygonCounties,
CAST(Name AS varchar(100)) COLLATE Croatian_CI_AI AS NameCollated,
'LABEL(f:"Times New Roman",t:{NameCollated},c:#000000,s:40pt)' AS OGR_STYLE
FROM SHPCounties
</SrcSQL>
<GeometryType>wkbPoints</GeometryType>
<GeometryField name="pointPolygonCounties" />
</OGRVRTLayer>

My labels have special characters (č and ć). I defined encoding to utf-8 and
gdal-config as utf-8 but in generated pdf under fonts I can see that the font
used is Times New Roman with encoding ansi, and characters č and ć are replaced
with c because ansi doesn't support those letters. I tried writing just the
letter 'č' to pdf so I can eliminate that the problem is in database but it is
replaced with something else in pdf,  also I tried using html entity for those
letters but it doesn't help.

I would like to know how can I define in label options of vrt file for it to
use font with custom encoding and not ansi encoding so it can display my
special characters or there is another way for me to display those special
characters.

Thank you.

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
www.greenwoodmap.com<http://www.greenwoodmap.com>