Hi Sean,

Would it be difficult to change the RC URLs and release directory to include the "rc*" string? If the download was at https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/3.3.2rc2/gdal-3.3.2rc2.tar.gz <https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/3.3.2rc2/gdal-3.3.2rc2.tar.gz> and extracted to gdal-3.3.2rc2 I would only need to make a one line change to my build system to test it.
ok will try to remember that for next time

I did find some failures in the tests we run when building and testing rasterio's binary distributions (the wheels on PyPI). GDAL 3.3.2rc2 and PROJ 7.2.1. The errors seem to come from a failure to auto identify the EPSG codes in spatial reference systems created from, for example, '+init=epsg:4326' or '+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84 +no_defs'.

https://github.com/mapbox/rasterio/blob/master/rasterio/_crs.pyx#L241-L243 <https://github.com/mapbox/rasterio/blob/master/rasterio/_crs.pyx#L241-L243>

These failures did not occur with 3.3.0. I'm retroactively checking 3.3.1 now.

This is a 3.3.2 change : https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/4047 . And this is intended. The issue with the PROJ strings you mention is that they are legacy syntax that results in a CRS that is instantiated with longitude, latitude order, whereas official EPSG:4326 is latitude, longitude order. The previous tolerance on the axis order in AutoIdentifyEPSG() was actually causing issues in some contexts (coordinate transformations)

I'd suggest you use OSRFindMatches() (much more capable) instead of AutoIdentifyEPSG(). You can walk through the suggested matches and compare them with the original CRS for example with OSRIsSame(). By default OSRIsSame() is tolerant on the axis order for geographic CRS (using OSRIsSameEx() with CRITERION=EQUIVALENT you'll get enforcement of same axis order).

Even

--

http://www.spatialys.com