I guess that means that an option for builders to configuring drivers as
    builtin / plugin / not included
is out of scope (not present in current system).
If someone is going through all the drivers it might make sense to
do this at the same time, or at least design things so that
only a central change is needed to enable it for all drivers ?

The main objective is to reach reasonable-enough feature parity, but that'll certainly be the oppurtunity to add new capabilities.

What you mention is something I've in mind, and cmake4gdal has already existing functions to control how/which drivers are built: https://github.com/miurahr/cmake4gdal/blob/master/helpers/GdalDriverHelper.cmake

It will certainly require some further tunings. There are also some complications like drivers that depend on other drivers, so it might not be practical for all drivers.

--
http://www.spatialys.com