Hi Jukka,

GDAL has the internal default of 80 characters. GDAL users do not really need
other options because fields are automatically expanded when longer strings are
appended afterwards but if the shapefile is used in some other software it does
happen that it is impossible to insert long strings because there is no room
for that in the table. I suppose that you also know that by using the field
width of 254 you are also maximizing the size of the .dbf file because it
reserves the same fixed amount of disk space for each cell.

got it! Yes, I'm aware of the disk space :)

Cheers and thanks

Matteo