Hi,

Given the feedback received, I've amended the pull request with an extra commit to disable exceptions by default, except in autotest/ and scripts. And emit a FutureWarning if exceptions have not been explicitly enabled or disabled. So this will test the exceptions-by-default mode in the GDAL code base without imposing it to external code, and warning such external code that behaviour will change in the future

Even