I have done this with QGIS, if you have a grid with categorised values, QGIS
can generate a polygon shapefile with the cell boundaries merged by cell value.
QGIS uses gdal_polygonize.py under the hood to do this (via a simple GUI
interface), so if you work out the command line parameters you need, you could
run it from the command line.

HTH,
Brent Wood