I am working on a project that involves displaying astronomical data on various map projections using C++. I would like to use the gdal library to accomplish this instead of hard coding the various projections. In the project I have a matrix representing the sky in RA/dec coordinates (astronomical equivalent to longitude/latitude) at whatever resolution is required. The resulting matrix is essentially geodetic in that it has a constant 2:1 ratio. I would like to take this matrix and create a map (say using the Mollweide projection as an example) that can then be displayed on the screen by the program. I've been looking at the c++ api and have found some candidate functions, but they all use data inputted from and outputted to files. Can anyone point me to examples that work with data stored in and written to memory, or else give me some ideas of where else to look for this within the library?

Thank you,

Dan