Laurențiu,

I noticed that gdalbuildvrt with no options produces VRTs that use ComplexSource, when SimpleSource would be sufficient. Is there any meaningful performance difference between the two? I know I should measure myself, I just didn't get to try it yet.

It only uses a ComplexSource when it needs to, that is to say when there is nodata or a mask band. Otherwise it will use SimpleSource. There is a performance hit in using ComplexSource when it is not needed. In 3.8, there has been an optimization to improve ComplexSource performance in common nodata-only scenarios: cf https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/commit/cd67491d3909f5f05160fa209609b38d973c42de

Even

--
http://www.spatialys.com