Dear list,

  I have a question about mosaicing multidimensional datasets (netCDF,
Zarr etc). These are typically 2 or 3D grids with a time dimension
from weather or ocean models (3 or 4D in total).
  Using a multidimensional VRT:
https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/vrt_multidimensional.html
it is possible to mosaic several arrays with shared dimensions along
the time or spatial dimensions without resampling.
   I have a use case where I want to mosaic several datasets with
varying spatial resolution, and possibly different dimension names and
reference systems, both along the time dimension and the spatial
dimensions (onto a common spatial 'grid'). The goal is to combine
global models with local models of higher resolution and get a common
combined multidimensional array (2 or 3D + time).
   This is more like a mixture of a classic 2D VRT:
https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/vrt.html and the multidimensional VRT.
I see that there is some new functionality for combining 2D parts of
multidimensional datasets, with reprojection / resampling, in a
"classic" VRT:
https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/vrt.html#arraysource
   But this does not seem to exactly cover my use case. I would like
to be able to do the 2D (or even 3D) mosaicing for the spatial part
with reprojection / resampling to a common grid while also combining,
and keeping, the time dimension. Bottom line, I guess, is that I would
like to be able to use the functionality of <DerivedArray> on a
2D-part inside the <Source> element of <Array> in a multidimensional
VRT
(https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/vrt_multidimensional.html#vrt-multidimensional).
  Am I right in assuming that this is not possible "out of the box"
with the current options provided by VRTDataset, so that I would need
to write some code to cover the use case myself?

Best regards,
Simon Kokkendorff
Joint GEOMETOC Support Centre