It's hard for me to understand the structure of the repository. Is there
any documentation on this?

For instance. I see python scripts (able to be run from command line, not
just modules/packages) in a few places:

./scripts
./swig/python/gdal-utils/scripts
./swig/python/gdal-utils/osgeo_utils
./swig/python/gdal-utils/osgeo_utils/auxiliary
./swig/python/gdal-utils/osgeo_utils/samples

I don't see/understand the structure. But maybe, with some help, I could?

To be concrete, lets consider validate_gpkg.py. Why is it in "samples", and
not in any of the others? Why does it belong in that folder?

Some scripts seem to be in more than one place (though not identical, at
least not in formatting) e.g.:
 - ./swig/python/gdal-utils/scripts/gdal2tiles.py
 - ./swig/python/gdal-utils/osgeo_utils/gdal2tiles.py

Is there any documentation that will help me understand the structure,
including the questions above?

Sincerely, Thomas