I find it strange. There is a long list of news ... but it covers only
things that were added exactly in the x.y.0 releases. All the changes that
happened in "bugfix releases" (that is x.y.z for z>0) is only on that
branch.
You can compare these two pages
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/release/3.8/NEWS.md
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/release/3.9/NEWS.md

However most of the changes are done in master and some back-ported to the
current release branch. That is, if I do a PR in master today that is not
breaking any API, it will be probably backported to 3.9, and released in
3.9.2. It will appear in the news for 3.9... but it will not appear in the
long list of news for 3.10 and later releases.
Is that what is happening? If yes, do we want to change that?

Javier