This was my mistake. I had set `GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN=EMPTY_DIR`,
which was preventing GDAL from noticing the .vrt.ovr file I had generated.

So, the answer is that the .vrt.ovr is just a TIF file, and it can be
generated via gdal_translate and additional overviews added to it via
gdaladdo 👍

Thanks :)