Andrew,

Is a newly created raster band initialized to zero? If not, is there some trivial way to perform such an initialization (this is a MEM driver raster, if that matters).

This might be indeed driver dependent. Drivers will generally initialize to zero or the nodata value. As far as I can see, the MEM driver uses calloc() to initialize the buffer, so that should be zero. Otherwise you can use GDALRasterBand::Fill() to initialize at the value of your choice

Even

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell...@gmail.com