On 10/24/2011 02:45 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 20:03:09 +0200, Colomban wrote:

Le 18/10/2011 19:52, Enrico Tröger a écrit :
Hey guys,

right now, we use the stock email commit hook from Github and let it
send commit mails to the geany-commits mailing list.

However, compared to the old Subversion commit mails, they are quite
different:

First, they are not really commit mails but rather "push" mails, that
is all commits which are transmitted within one push are combined
into one mail instead of one mail per commit as it was previously.

Secondly, the commit mails only include the commit message and a link
to the commit diff at Github. I personally would prefer to have the
diff included (also as before).

So, I'm tempted to use something else for sending out commit mails.

For example, the Xfce guys have a simple Shell script to do the job
and it does it as I would wish:
http://git.xfce.org/admin/xfce-git-hooks/tree/hooks/update-03-send-commit-mails

An example mail:
http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-commits/2011-October/023580.html

What do you think?

Nothing but a big "+1" ;)

Nobody else with an opinion?

(-1 is allowed is as well as answer though not preferred...:D)

0

I have mixed feelings about this. After the 800 commit mails in a short period of time on the xfce-commits list the other day, I think the "combined" commit mails like we have now are nice. I'm also not sure it's worth the bandwidth of sending massive diffs for things like rebuilding documentation or other really huge ones. I guess for some people bandwidth is super cheap and others not so much. I do like having the diffs in the mails normally, but I also don't much mind clicking a hyperlink to see a well coloured and laid out diff.

If we go back to individual commit mails with diffs, is there anyway to limit how many individual messages get sent out at once and how many lines can be in a diff? Ex. if we merge the gtkbuilder branch at some point, is there anyway to prevent from flooding the list with all those commit mails but to send individual ones for regular 2 or 3 commits in a row?

But really, I don't care too much either way :)

Cheers,
Matthew Brush