With the crested gecko diet, I've found that I have to use just slightly less than a 2:1 ratio of water to food. If I do 2 parts water to 1 part food by volume (say, 1 level teaspoon of water to 1/2 level teaspoon of food), the mixture is slightly too runny. If, however, I use, say, a slightly rounded 1/2 teaspoon of food with the same amount of water, it comes out better. I also typically don't notice any sort of "gelling" taking place, unless you mean the dehydrated food absorbing the water and the mixture becoming a tiny bit thicker... I use slightly warm water to speed this process up, and I mix continuously with a toothpick or some other small implement until the mixture does not show any more obviously dry bits of food. At this point, using the ratio I described above, I tend to get a pretty consistent result.

But is there something I'm not doing or should be doing differently? It appears that all my gex take the food, though it's a bit difficult to tell because the amount I give them (due to using slightly deep dishes) is so much greater than the quantity they can consume. If you think it's important that I stick to a more strick 2:1 ratio, let me know. This is just my own experience. Glad the subject was raised though.

Rick

Take advantage of our best MSN Dial-up offer of the year — six months @$9.95/month. Sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup