Thanks for all of the moss suggestions, I may give some a try.
I sometimes use live pillow moss as is, what I'm mostly looking
for is ways to clean parasites and foreign insects out moss that
is used as disposable (compostable) substrate for arboreal gex.
I remove the moss as it gets soiled, it's great for catching feces
and speeds up cleaning.

Neil

Hi al,

I just submerge it in a tub outside for about 24 hours.  I know that
won't get everything, but I mainly wanted to get rid of spiders -- I
have enough already!

Melody

David Lawrence wrote:

Hi,

Do you want the moss to remain living??? If not bringing the moss to
a slow boil in a pot of water and letting it simmer will do the trick nicely.

David Lawrence

At 08:49 AM 1/20/2004, you wrote:

> > Does anyone have a method of debugging fresh-collected sphagnum
> > moss? It's very hard to buy good quality sphagnum here, but it is
> > very common locally.
>
>Dunno, except to rinse it well, but do be careful: a bite my red eft
>received finally just healed, after a month. I brought home some wild moss
>that was pretty damp, and there was one of those red velvet mites in it.
>
>Must have really hurt - she was thrashing around, trying to get it off - and
>I had a heck of a time getting it off her :(
>
>Barbie >^,,^<
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Neil Meister

Promotions Secretary