We did try a little water on a Q-tip and worked on the ring around her neck. It softened a little, but didn't split. My husband was able to barely get hold of it with tweezers to give it a little pull, but it wouldn't split -- and we couldn't get anything in to try to cut it.

We are so afraid of doing more damage to her. Her leg was damaged during hatching -- or she might have fallen, as we found her in the bathroom window in the bottom of the sill, while her egg and that of her dead sibling were caught midway up on the top of the open window. Apparently her hatching efforts or another gecko caused the eggs to dislodge and they fell. The dead sibling was not fully formed yet.

Although I have not observed her eating, we know she must be. I gather her little tiny bugs off the fallen leaves from our orchid tree every day, plus aphids off some of the greenery she likes (we don't spray poisons), plus the papaya with the fruit flies. And she pooped on me yesterday after she crawled up onto me. ;)

But there must be an art to catching the fruit flies & injuring them! I've done that with larger bugs before, but all I have done with these is crush them. They are so tiny, they just squish when I try to catch them.

Thanks, Sherron

Lyle Puente wrote:
You have a tough job!
Can you mist her and maybe injure some of the fruit flies to make them easier catches? You might need to mist her well and try a fine tweezer to get that skin off?

Lyle

Lyle Puente
President
Global Gecko Association