Mahalo, All~

Any chance you could buy a very small sewing scissors?  My sewing scissors
have much smaller points and blades than the scissors on my Swiss army knife.

I admire you clipping the wings of the fruit flies.  I don't know whether my
fingers would be nimble enough.  Sounds like "clipped flies" is becoming a
popular menu item at your home with four-legged visitors and the like ;-]  You
might try covering the top of Li?i's cage with a loosely woven cloth at feeding
time to keep the flies in till they are consumed.  I cover the tops of all my
cricket cages just to keep them from escaping...even the 1.5 wos.

Melody and I order our crickets from Sunshine Mealworms
(www.sunshinemealworms.com, 1-800-322-1100) in Silverton, Oregon.  Perhaps they
would be a fine and
quicker source for your mealworms. The Beanfarm (www.beanfarm.com) near
Seattle, Washington carries the pink label Rep-Cal Phosphorus-Free Ultrafine
Powder
with D3.

I have heard that the Exo-Terra tanks might have an "escape hole" in the back
where the tube outlet is.

I think the roughness of a rough rock or small branch would be good for your
rescued Gold Dust.  Now it sounds as if she has more energy than before and
might even use such to rough up her toes and especially her tail after a few
more steam baths.

I was going to suggest "Mahalo" or the Hawaiian word expressing her thanks,
but I see you've already decided upon a name.  I mean she owes her life to you
and Dennis!

I have only visited Maui, Kauai, and Oahu.  I first visited Maui in 1984.  I
visited Kauai in 1988 and caught my first three Lepidodactylus lugubris.  At
the time all I needed to do to bring them home was take them to a Kauai vet who
certified them as "healthy".  Then we were off to Seattle.  One of those
mourning geckos lived more than 17.5 years and was still laying eggs!  Then I
inadvertently left the screen top ajar and she escaped.

Cheers,
Elizabeth

> Subj:Re: [gecko]Question on hatchling Gold Dust Day Gecko having trouble
> shedding ...
> Date:6/7/08 5:38:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sherron)
> Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To:    gecko@lists.gekkota.com
>
> Aloha, Elizabeth

I really appreciate the help the GGA list has given me! We actually tried
getting the skin off before we posted to the GGA list, but it didn't do much
good
without the "pre-soak" in the humidity chamber for several hours first. There
is nothing like experience to know what you can do without causing more harm
than good.  That is always my worry when trying something I haven't done
before is that it may be worse than doing nothing. :(

She is definitely interested in eating; always a good sign! And she is much
better at getting around without that gunky skin inhibiting her movements. I
will need to see what pet/supply stores there are in this area. I don't think
there are many, but I can always do mail order if there isn't something local.
There isn't a large selection of anything here. ;)

We have named her!!  Her name is Li?i, which is the Hawaiian name for
"small", and is pronounced lee-ee. The "?" is an ?okina which indicates a
glottal
stop or short break/pause between the two i's. ;)

So I have also updated the web page on her and it is now located at:  <A
HREF="http://hale-pohaku.net/gecko_lii.html";>
http://hale-pohaku.net/gecko_lii.html</A>

She is really getting around very well without the excess skin, although I
think she still has a little trouble with that right leg. The toes on the right
foot still tend to clump together a little, although I suspect that she may
grow to adjust to it and learn to live with it. We see quite a few maimed
geckos
around and many of them do quite well, all things considered. She certainly
is doing much, much better with it. She doesn't "lurch" anymore, but actually
uses it nearly like a normal leg. ;)

We sure don't want her to lose any toes or her tail if we can prevent it, so
like it or not, Li?i is going to get steam bath! Or two. If we could keep her
still, we could probably do it quicker, but there is not much to hold onto and
she is a fast little devil! ;)

She sure has lots of friends, thank goodness!! ;)

Mahalo nui loa,
Sherron, Dennis & Li?i

<A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A> wrote:
> [...]
> Ultrafine Powder with D3.  Can you get that on the island?
>
> Your survivor needs a name!  You've given her a new life!!!  How is her gait
> since you've removed the excess skin except for her tail?  In your recent
> photos her right leg seems to bend like normal.
>
> The thing about retained skin, which may have ultimately been affecting her
> breathing (?) is that the digit (toe) can become necrotic and then slough
> off.  That is why I'm worried about the retained skin on her tail as I said
> in
> an earlier post tonight.  You have resolved the crucial things first while
> still saving the "patient".  So in a few days you can try again with her
> tail.
>
> Cheers!
> Elizabeth
>

> >> Subj:Re: [gecko]Question on hatchling Gold Dust Day Gecko having trouble
>> shedding ... Ok! But what about the tail?
>> Date:6/5/08 11:07:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>> From:    <A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A> (Sherron)
>> Sender:    <A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>
>> To:    <A HREF="mailto:gecko@lists.gekkota.com";>gecko@lists.gekkota.com</A>
>>
>> Aloha, Elizabeth
>>
>> Oh, she is VERY active!!!  She doesn't hold still for more than a few
>> seconds and she is so tiny, we are afraid to try to hold her down!
>>
>> But we have now managed to get everything off except the skin on her tail.
>> We had hoped that she might be able to chew it off since that is all that
>> is left, but she doesn't seem to be doing so. Will the skin wear off by
>> itself just from her moving around or do we need to make sure it is off,
>> too?  We
>> are just so afraid of the tail breaking off.
>>
>> We did notice that she has a toe on her right foot that seems blackened and
>> crumpled. And the lines on the bottoms of her hands don't seem very well
>> developed.
>>
>> Right foot           Right hand
>>

>> We had to repeat the steam bath/clean-up routines multiple times and she
>> didn't like it, but she was really a good girl. She is very alert & curious
>> and always comes out to look at us when we go over to look in her cage. ;)
>>
>> We thank you all so much for your help. I am afraid she would not have made
>> it without your assistance.  I have never actually held a live gecko
>> before, although I have had them  jump or fall on me quite a bit. It is
>> really
>> nice having her around. ;)
>>
>> I am trying to put some photos of her up on the web and I will post the
>> address when I get them up. We have taken lots!! ;)
>>
>> Mahalo nui loa,
>> Sherron

>>> pin) that could perhaps begin a split/tear in her skin at the neck?  I
>>> don't
>>> know how active she is, but you might be able to hold her firmly against
>>> some solid padded surface like a table.  Hope that something works for you

We found a tiny hatchling on May 13 that was a little underdeveloped and was
still in that grayish skin they have when they first come out of the shell.
She was dehydrated and has a problem with her right leg, but is spunky.

We haven't been able to release her outside like we do the rest of the
hatchings we find, as her bad leg has kept her from being very mobile, but she
has
been doing pretty well eating tiny bugs & aphids I collect for her. She has
also shown a real interest in the fruit flies around her papaya, but I don't
think she has managed to catch any yet.

But she started having trouble yesterday and was real cold & clammy, so we
put a heating pad near her cage to help warm her up. It seems to have started
her molting her "egg skin", but she has a bunch of it around her neck that she
can't get off.

Is there anything we can do to help her? She is so tiny we don't see how we
could try to cut it off! The rest of the skin except for around her neck should
slough off okay, but the stuff around her neck is several layers and is a
ring, so it may be another matter. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated as she is really a spunky little girl.

Mahalo, Sherron

Elizabeth
~~~geckos make my heart sing (and dance)~~~

          l                       l                        l
   ^^  /..\              ^^  /..\  ^^           ^^  /..\  ^^
        l  l   ^^              llll                      \\\
        l  l                    llll                      ///
        l  l                    llll                      \\\
        l  l  ~~              llll                      ///
   ~~  (                ~~    )   ~~         ~~   (    ~~
            )                   (                            )
      lappert(a)               robert(a)                    hubert(a)
       17.50 yo                    r.i.p.                            r.i.p.

                        (All Lepidodactylus lugubris!)

<BR><BR>**************<BR>Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking
with
Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.<BR>