Ok, so the solder mask is a coating, and if I choose I could simply order a
board without one. I suppose the advantages would be that it (obviously)
keeps you from soldering where you shouldn't, and also keeps the board clean
looking and prevents corrosion. And I suppose that since I've already made
all of the elements, it wouldn't be too difficult to ensure the spacings
between the pins and then make them into elements.

If it's the lesstif version, it's in the Tools menu.  In the GTK
version, you can use the buttons on the left.

Ok. Is it the THRM button? If so, I can't get it to work. I click it, and it
gives me a small black symbol resembling Germany's Iron Cross (if you're
familiar with that symbol). If I place this over a via and left click, right
click, or shift (and left click), nothing happens. I will see if I can find
out about this tool in the documentation, but do you have any idea what I
might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jeremy