First, I'd like to thank the developers of PCB and gEDA.  These tools are VERY
nice, and I'm glad someone has made this software for linux.  Thanks for the
work and all of the support.   If anyone is interested, here is a little trick
to add some text in the silkscreen of your PCB layout.  The text can say
anything you want and can be any size.  The trick is: in both your schematic
and layout, add a component which has no pins and doesn't connect to anything.
The text should be contained in the RefDes of the footprint and will be
included as silkscreen on the layout.  I've got a design on sourceforge that's
a good demonstration of this.  The design is at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wireless-usb The schematic symbol should be
called "text.sym" and contain:v 20061020 1T 1700 2100 8 10 1 1 0 6
1refdes=TEXT-HERET 300 2100 9 10 1 0 0 0 1silkscreen_textT 300 2100 5 10 0 0 0
0 1footprint=text_footprint The footprint file should be called
"text_footprint" and contain:Element[0x0 "text" "" "" 0 0 -5830 -9846 0 110
0x0](ElementLine[25600 9450 -25600 9450 800])Of course there are hundreds of
ways to modify this code and get the same result... I am using an old version
of PCB from the debian database, so this function may have been included in
newer releases.  I've noticed in the lists, that a number of good functions
have been added since debian grabbed their version.   Hope people find this
useful.Jason