Most pads and pins of our footprint libraries have solder mask relief
which extends the copper pad to allow some misalignment of solder
resist.

I have noticed that this extend is very different for different
footprints -- from 3 to 10 mil I guess.

I think this extend in more a board property than a property of
individual footprints, because misalignment of solder resist is a board
property of whole board. So I would like to have solder mask extend
equal for all my footprints on my board (8 mil I would like).
(Yes, I know that there can be good reason to have different solder mask
extend for individual footprints, i.e. to build mask which cover
adjoining pads (gang solder mask))

Question: How can I make solder mask relief extends equal for all my
pads (pins) on the board? I know I can increase/decrease it for
individuals pads, but I want an absolute value for all elements.

I think it can be done with a script which processes all footprint files
before inserting them into the board -- is there a better way or fine
script available?

For copper clearance situation is similar I guess.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski