Dne středa 28 leden 2009 Omari Stephens napsal(a):
> > I like the idea of moving the "Editors" tab out of the preferences
> > interface entirely; that would put copy, move, delete, and symlink
> > "under the hood" where they wouldn't get in the way.  If I understand
> > what you are proposing, it would allow editors like Gimp, UFDraw,
> > etc. to be displayed on menus if and only if they are actually
> > installed?  That would be a huge improvement, since it's quite
> > frustrating to select a menu item that doesn't work.
>
> How does this work for people (like me) who compile their own versions of
> Gimp and UFRaw?  What if we have multiple versions installed, and might
> want to choose which one we use?  What about people who want to run random
> shell scripts as external commands  (for instance, I have used an "Editor"
> entry to append the filename into a text file, which I then used to upload
> the appropriate images to some web photo gallery software I wrote).

My plan is to prefer desktop files from ~/.geeqie
Adding new command would mean copying an existing desktop file or a template
from documentation and editing it. I agree it is a bit more complicated
but it will easier to distribute the commands and share them among users.

Another advantage is that the documentation can be put to the template
directly.

> Parsing .desktop files is nice, certainly.  Not having to create an entire
> .desktop file for something that will already have its own shell script
> would also be nice.
>
> > It would also be frustrating to use an application to open an image
> > type that it doesn't understand.  It would be nice if geeqie could
> > know what file types an editor can handle by looking at one of these
> > drop-in configuration files.
>
> In many cases, this isn't knowable a priori.  Does Gimp support opening RAW
> files?  The answer is "yes, if you've got a plugin that does it, but
> otherwise no."

I think that we can rely on the mime types in most cases. For more specialized
commands we can add some custom entries.

> > 2.) In Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Thumbnails, I don't
> > understand the option "Cache thumbnails into .thumbnails", because
> > that *is* where the shared thumbnail cache is (or at least its
> > subdirectories).  I think the optimal thing to do is actually remove
> > *both* of these options, and just always use the industry-standard
> > shared cache.  It's unclear from the interface what happens when both
> > of these options are unchecked, which is poor if either is kept.  (The
> > answer is that the cache becomes .geeqie/thumbnails.)
>
> I think the upshot is that "users may not want geeqie to litter their
> .thumbnails cache."  Each thumbnail gets its own file.  This means that if
> you've got a lot of images, you've got a lot of files, and that much more
> directory-read overhead.
>
> For example, on my machine, I have 88,000 NEFs and 122,000 JPGs.  That's
> 210,000 images.  If I even look at _a quarter_ of those, that's over 50,000
> entries in my .thumbnails directory.  Which means that _any application_
> that uses the shared .thumbnails will be slow.

That is true. The original GQview thumbnail cache is significantly faster than
the standard. That's why we probably can't drop it completely.

> > 7.) "File -> Pan view" should probably be "View -> Pan view".  This is
> > a neat feature, by the way.
>
> I think the current layout is reasonable if you think of the View menu as
> "different ways to look at the currently-visible image(s)" and the File
> menu as "different ways to look at images which aren't currently visible."

We did not touch the pan view yet. I think that it should be more integrated
with the rest of Geeqie, but I have no idea how.

> > 10.) The standard find-a-folder dialog boxes are different than the
> > ones that other desktop applications use.  I'm running Gnome, but
> > non-Gnome applications like Firefox and even Emacs use the standard
> > interface.
>
> Oh, goodness.  Geeqie is my last bastion of sanity.  The Gnome file
> selectors suck.  They may be standardized, but they suck royally.  Geeqie's
> file selectors are actually useful and aren't a pain to use and don't suck.
>  Please, please, please don't take them away.
>
> As one example, I have a very-commonly-traversed directory
> (~/files/media/graphics/photos/) with 524 sub-directories.  With the geeqie
> file selector, it takes zero time to generate and show the listing, just
> like every other directory.  With the Gnome file selector, it takes a full
> second _every single time_.
>
> So, let's say I'm looking at ~/files/media/graphics/photos/2009-01-12/ in
> the Gnome file selector.  I click the "photos" button.  1 second passes,
> and then I can do something.  I click the "2009-01-12" button.  Now I click
> the "photos" button again.  It _again_ takes an entire second before I can
> do something.  So, for example, if I'm searching for the right date to put
> a file under, this starts to get on my nerves _really fast_.

Hm, I would incline to a switch to the standard dialog, mostly because the
current code is hard to maintain. I will have to think about it. Any other
opinions?

Vladimir