On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 22:01:22 +0100
Vladimir Nadvornik <nadvor...@suse.cz> wrote:

[snip]

> My plan is to prefer desktop files from ~/.geeqie
> Adding new command would mean copying an existing desktop file or a template
> from documentation and editing it. I agree it is a bit more complicated
> but it will easier to distribute the commands and share them among users.
>
> Another advantage is that the documentation can be put to the template
> directly.

What do you mean by "a bit more complicated" ?
I think possibility to use simple shell scripts should be preserved in any case.

[snip]

> That is true. The original GQview thumbnail cache is significantly faster than
> the standard. That's why we probably can't drop it completely.

Yes, because the "standard" is badly designed.

[snip]

> > > 10.) The standard find-a-folder dialog boxes are different than the
> > > ones that other desktop applications use.  I'm running Gnome, but
> > > non-Gnome applications like Firefox and even Emacs use the standard
> > > interface.
> >
> > Oh, goodness.  Geeqie is my last bastion of sanity.  The Gnome file
> > selectors suck.  They may be standardized, but they suck royally.  Geeqie's
> > file selectors are actually useful and aren't a pain to use and don't suck.
> >  Please, please, please don't take them away.
> >
> > As one example, I have a very-commonly-traversed directory
> > (~/files/media/graphics/photos/) with 524 sub-directories.  With the geeqie
> > file selector, it takes zero time to generate and show the listing, just
> > like every other directory.  With the Gnome file selector, it takes a full
> > second _every single time_.
> >
> > So, let's say I'm looking at ~/files/media/graphics/photos/2009-01-12/ in
> > the Gnome file selector.  I click the "photos" button.  1 second passes,
> > and then I can do something.  I click the "2009-01-12" button.  Now I click
> > the "photos" button again.  It _again_ takes an entire second before I can
> > do something.  So, for example, if I'm searching for the right date to put
> > a file under, this starts to get on my nerves _really fast_.
> >

> Hm, I would incline to a switch to the standard dialog, mostly because the
> current code is hard to maintain. I will have to think about it. Any other
> opinions?

Well, i agree with xsdg here, i don't like "standard" gtk dialogs that much
(especially since they are slow and buggy on a regular basis, your mileage may
vary).
But you have a point: maintenance will be easier (or not....).
I guess there is nothing urgent here, and i guess no one will provide a patch
for that
soon.

--
Laurent MONIN aka Zas