Hello Vladimir

> Then it must be the histogram map computation.
>
> There are several problems:
> - map computation can take a long time and is done in one piece
> - the relative priorities of image loading, drawing first and second pass,
>   histogram and preloading next image are probably not completely right
>
> It should not happen when the histogram is not visible, but there may be
> another bug.

Yes, the histogram was part of the problem. I edited image.c to take out
a call to update histogram, and the problem was reduced.

However, the real problem lay elsewhere. In System/Preferences/Assistive
Technologies I found that the Enable Assistive Technologies checkbox was
clicked. I unset it and logged in again, and the problem was gone.

A Google search shows that this option was set by default in the Ubuntu
8.10 update, and the problems it causes is known about anyway.

Colin Clark...