Hi,

Am Di den 26. Mai 2009 um 13:30 schrieb Greg Troxel:
> I hesitate to post on this, but I will anyway:

:-)

> There are existing coding standards out there, and I think it makes
> sense to adopt one or the other rather than creating a new one.  The
> basic choices seem to be GNU and the BSD KNF, which is perhaps most
> refined in NetBSD.  I would expect gnome to have standards, and adopting
> those would be a reasonable choice.  Unfortunately the GNU one is
> underspecified.

I like the GNU style. I dislike any style which has a strange
brace-Style:
   bla
   {
      ...;
   }

is ok.

   bla {
      ...;
   }

is bad as it makes code horrible to read. The style in the geeqie coding
style is acceptable. :-)

I do not like if somethink is overspecified. But that is not the reason
for liking the GNU style.

>   100 characters is a surprising limit.  Real terminal had 80 columns, and
>   BSD KNF says 80.

Comeon. Which terminal is just 80 chars wide? The most are 130 or more
and it normally doesn't matter at all.

>   Tabs are a rathole, but tabs simply *are* every 8, and people who try
>   to change code formatting by telling their editor/display program to
>   put tab stops elsewhere are confused and need to stop.  The
>   traditionalist in me is offended by giving up on tabs because of
>   confusion and lame editors, preferring instead to ban the use of
>   editors which don't work right (which is what I do at work), but the
>   realist sees your point.

I'd like to be the traditionalist and I like to bann bad editors. ;-)

But there is another point I want to show. All coding styles are nice
but changing the coding style of existing source is bad as it breaks all
revision controll tracking. So as much as I whould see a consistent
coding style I dislike to change major parts of existing code.

Regards
   Klaus
- --
Klaus Ethgen                            http://www.ethgen.de/
pub  2048R/D1A4EDE5 2000-02-26 Klaus Ethgen <kl...@ethgen.de>
Fingerprint: D7 67 71 C4 99 A6 D4 FE  EA 40 30 57 3C 88 26 2B