>>>>> "Vladimir" == Vladimir Nadvornik <nadvor...@suse.cz> writes:

Vladimir> On Monday, July 30, 2012 03:04:32 PM Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Vladimir Nadvornik <nadvor...@suse.cz> writes:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I went through the mailinglist and bugtracker and added the "easy" fixes
>> > to master. If you think that anything important is missing, please tell
>> > so.
>> >
>> > For release plan, I'd propose this:
>> >
>> > 1. release the current master as Geeqie 1.1
>> > 2. migrate to gtk3, drop the compatibility stuff
>>
>> Do you really mean 'geeqie will require gtk3'?   Can gtk3 and gtk2
>> co-exist on the same system?   I can see requiring reasonably up to date
>> gtk2, but it still seems that there is trouble in the gtk3/gnome3 world.

Vladimir> The main problem is that recent version of some libraries
Vladimir> are available only for gtk3. It already hit us with
Vladimir> libchamplain-gtk - currently it is not possible to compile
Vladimir> the gps map pane.

But how many distributions are using gtk3 right now, or deploying
these newer libraries?

Vladimir> The same problem will be with clutter-gtk if we want to use
Vladimir> hw acceleration or replace Pan view in the future.  So I
Vladimir> think that we have to migrate to gtk3 or we end with old and
Vladimir> unmaintained libraries soon or later.

Vladimir> gtk2 and 3 can co-exist on the same system, but not in the
Vladimir> same application.

Vladimir> The list of required changes is quite long, see:
Vladimir> http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.5/gtk-migrating-2-to-3.html

Vladimir> I am not sure if it is possible to maintain code that
Vladimir> compiles against both versions. Maybe it is a better idea to
Vladimir> clean up the code and continue with gtk3 only.

I think the better idea is to just release version 1.1 or 2.0 of
geeqie and get development and releases moving again, but without the
gtk3 changes.  Those should go into a new version, maybe 3.0,
instead.  Let's not bite off more than we can chew, especially if the
changes are really intrusive into the codebase.

John