Dne čtvrtek 16 Srpen 2012 17:18:45 Klaus Ethgen napsal(a):
> >   when merging branches to master, use --no-ff in the git merge command,
> >   so there will be an explicit merge commit.   When one merges master to
> >   a branch, checks that it still works, and then merges back to master,
> >   often the merge back to master is a fast-forward merge and this is
> >   boggling when going through the history.   (I am running a large
> >   private project where we use this rule, and it really helps; one can
> >   'git log --first-parent' and see all the direct master commits and
> >   merge commits between releases, etc.)
>
> --no-ff is sometimes a good idea, sometimes not. I think that should be
> used where it is reasonable. For example I might cherry-pick several
> commits fixing small thinks into a temp branch. As long as nobody did
> did something in master a ff might be reasonable. In other cases where
> there is a new feature --no-ff is the best way.

In my work project we do a rebase each time before pushing to master, I am not
used to other methods.

Each commit contain logically connected things - for example adding a variable
in one file and using it in another. But merge commits break this rule - they
contains random changes together. So my feeling is that with merge commits the
history would be harder to review and debug but I have no practical
experiences...

Vladimir